Tonight I am in LA, in a hotel room alone, and I just saw one of the coolest things of my life. I went to see Danny Elfman's music from the movies of Tim Burton concert, where a full Orchestra and Choir played a few selections each from an array of their collaborations. What made the night particularly awesome was that Danny Elfman came out and sang most of Jack Skellington's songs, and Oogie Boogie's song too. Catherine O'Hara also came and sang Sally's song. You couldn't tell that they were not the recorded versions, they were so perfect. Tim Burton also came out on stage to thunderous applause. It was amazing. I wept tears of joy to see one of my idols perform again, after 18 years of him saying that he would never be on stage again. I was at Oingo Boingo's last show, the last time he did perform, and I can say that his voice is just as awesome as it ever was. I also got to hear the Beetlejuice main theme played in a room with Danny Elfman in it, and I never thought that would ever happen. It is all so much more amazing when heard in a perfect theater, played by amazing musicians, most of whom also played on the sountracks of the movies.
Anyway, I will shut up now, but please feel free to check out my
Flickr set if you'd like to see some not great pictures that will remind me of this night for the rest of my life. (Yes, pictures were kosher, as long as there was no flash.) There's a lot of the original art in these pics from Tim when he was planing the movies. Enjoy!